Thursday, December 13, 2007

When in Rome...(or China)

When in Rome, do as the Romans do. Or, when in China, do as the Chinese do. And, as some people might know, the Chinese like to eat dog-lots of dog!

Now most of you who know me, know me as a vegetarian. But, when we began this trip I decided that if I was strict about this, I would, at worse starve (and I would have in Central Asia!), and at best miss out on a lot of new and exciting culinary experiences.

So that is why I sat in a Chinese restaurant and ate Fluffy. Now, when the Chinese serve you Fluffy, it's not just the prime cuts; the T-bone or the rump or the ribs. No, there is some liver, some heart, some tiny kidneys, and some who knows what in your dish as well. For those of you curious about what dog meat tastes like, the way I had it was very much like beef jerky-dark, tough, stringy, and salty. Well, enough culinary experiences for now; tomorrow I think I'll order the mushrooms and bamboo!

No comments: